Powered By Blogger

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

By June 10, 2016


Sleep:  I there any other word in the English language as beautiful?  I suppose you might say that there are many, perhaps even words that are even more amazing and glorious.  But I'm pretty sure that if your answer is yes, you are either:
1. Not a mother
2. One of those moms whose child sleeps like as angel and pretty much has since they were a newborn... in which we can never be friends

Before I had a baby, I was a morning person.  Not one of those annoyingly perky ones, with the sing-song voice and perpetual "Life is Beautiful" smile on my face.  Just someone who never really had too much trouble getting up and going in the morning. I'd have a couple of cups of coffee at a leisurely pace before leaving the house, and I'd be good to go.  I was also more effective at work in the mornings, and more likely to work out, often going to the gym before work, having no problem getting up an hour earlier and setting my alarm for 5AM.  All of that changed once I had my son. 
There are no words to describe the pure all-encompassing exhaustion that comes with having a newborn.  You can certainly understand it in theory: their tummies are tiny and can barely hold any milk, so they have to eat constantly.  Makes sense, right?  Oh, but the difference between understanding it logically and actually living it are two very different things indeed!  Newborns have no concept of day or night, so will need to eat around the clock, no matter if mommy is a zombie or not.
"I'm just gonna rest my head here for a while"

There's a reason that sleep deprivation is a torture technique used by many countries.  Crazy, right?  The point is that new moms and dads experience such a crazy amount of sleep deprivation that they're living in some sort of twilight during that time.  That was the case for me, anyway.  It is exhaustion at its most extreme, and we signed up for it!  So you'd better not complain, especially not to people who don't have kids of their own.  They don't get it, never will, and don't really give a shit!
From about the time that my son was about six weeks old, he was exclusively formula-fed.  Apparently formula-fed babies sleep longer than breastfed ones, since formula is more filling - so they say.  That was not the case for my little guy, unfortunately... but you better believe that I held on to the little nugget of hope like a drowning victim gone overboard.  We would be up and at it from 4AM onwards some days, since my son was not one of those blissfully sleeping wee ones occasionally waking up for a light snack, and then settling back down for a little warm nap.  Nope, from the get-go, M was an alert baby, so curious about everything going on around him and wanting to take it all in.  A blessing?  Absolutely.  A curse?  Also.
I remember being so hopeful that my son would start to sleep all night long when he had rice cereal for the first time, at around four months old.  So many people had told me that because his tummy would be that much more full, he would be able to sleep for a longer period of time.  I also remember being completely devastated when that wasn't the case.  There were tears, and words of comfort from my husband afterwards , but I held out hope for the next thing (whatever that might be) that was supposed to mean that I would get a full night's sleep.  On to more and more solid foods as the weeks went on, but still baby M enjoyed his multiple nighttime bottles.

My son finally slept all night long, from 7PM to 6AM just shy of his first birthday.  To some moms that sounds like a nightmare, and to others that sounds like a dream come true.  Since that time, my son has been consistently sleeping through the night.  There are occasional bouts of night waking that happen when he's sick (or when he started preschool when we had about a month of hellish sleep), but for the most part our nights are pretty reliable in terms of his sleep.  He wakes up very early, anywhere from 5AM onwards, and there was even a period around the time that he turned two that he was waking up at 4:45AM, and ready to go, go, GO! 
I've never been a night owl, and now crawl into bed most nights with my book sometime around 9PM and fall asleep pretty much as soon as I turn off the light.  You'd think that with me getting somewhere between seven and eight hours of sleep a night, that I would feel fully rested and ready to bound out of bed and play with my toddler when he wakes up.  Nope.  Honestly, you can't explain it to someone who hasn't lived it, but I am still 100% exhausted every hour of the day.  All day.  Every day.

Since having a baby, I look tired all the time as well.  It's not all that easy to tell since I have thick brown frames on my glasses that hide all manner of sins.  Thank God.  The puffy, strained and bloodshot look is one that I rock every morning until about 10AM.  I have eye wrinkles on top of eye wrinkles that no amount of moisturizing will get rid of.
My fatigue is different than what it once was when my little guy was less than a year old.  Now it's a fatigue from staying at home with him, and chasing after a three year old from 5AM-7AM seven days a week.  There's no such thing as a weekend, per se.  I am lucky enough to have a husband who is completely involved and devoted to his son, and even with the extra set of hands, it's still busy, tiring and can also be really stressful.  There is no relief from responsibility on the weekends, let's just put it that way.  I am able to get more done on the weekends, but it means that I have to take time away from my family to do it (whatever it is, be it: cooking, cleaning, running errands, etc).
My son is now three and half years old, and to this day I am completely obsessed with sleep: his sleep and mine.  I think about his naps constantly, and worry what will happen when he no longer needs to nap at all.  I crave sleep just like an addict craves a fix.  Oh, and I am certainly a caffeine addict and have been for close to 4 years  Anyway, sleep is something that is on my mind a lot.  A lot.  Constantly.  Maybe more than is healthy and normal. 


All of this to say that there's a big difference between starting out your day the way you'd like to, and at your own pace than being jolted awake at 5:15AM by a child demanding to play with his train set.  I guess that's why I'm no longer a morning person...  And to those of you who ask a parent the question "Why?" after it comes up that they're tired: don't be surprised if you leave with a black eye or two.

You Might Also Like

0 comments