Powered By Blogger

Giving Thanks

By October 10, 2015

It's that time of year again: the leaves turn brilliant colours; people start reluctantly covering up in more and more layers; pumpkin spice lattes with double shots of espresso are being chugged in large quantities (guilty); and some of us take a few minutes at Thanksgiving to think about what we're truly grateful for.  Believe it or not, it really isn't all bitter all the time on my end:)

Here at Bittersweet Mommies, we asked a few other moms for their input on what they're grateful for as moms.  Here's the feedback we received (in no particular order):

  • "Grandparents, and other mommies to share my bitterness!" - M, mom of four
  • "... extended family that has helped through the years, consequences used over the years which have helped him in making good life choices thus far, hugs, which I get very rarely now that he is grown... and I am grateful for chocolate, which I ate a lot of over the years especially when he became a teenager, got a girlfriend, and his driver's license..." - J, mom of one
  • "I'm thankful for my healthy boy that always amazes me with his smarts, wits and charm.  Also thankful that I get to stay home everyday with my little guy and watch him grow. I'm thankful for my husband and his endless support & patience even on my bitchest of days. Friends and Family for all of their endless love and support too." - J, mom of one (soon to be two!)
  • "I am grateful for my beautiful little boy!  He is funny, energetic and loving!  I am not so grateful for the word "Why"!" - S, mom of one
  • "I'm thankful for mommy friends, morning cuddles and uncontrollable giggles:)" - J, mom of two
  • "I am grateful for grandparents, smart phones, the amazon prime overlords that keep my house stocked with diapers, wipes, and puffs before I even realize I'm running out, and coming home to excited baby smiles that help melt work stress away." - C, mom of one
  • "I'm grateful for my daughters smiling face and good friends that have kept me going through a divorce. She has shown me that I have alot to be thankful for." - M, mom of one
  • "I'm grateful for flexibility. Having flexibility with my work and my husbands work has been crutial when my daughter is sick or she has appointments. Also, friends and family who are flexible to changing plans, times and locations of get together a has been as important!! You never know when your kid is gonna change their meal/nap/poop/tantrum schedule and you need to change things up." - T, mom of one
  • "I am grateful to have two beautiful healthy little girls, a 2 week old and a two year old. Even though some days are tough & energy stores run low they can always get me smiling. I am grateful that my toddler has a beautiful personality, she is kind, sweet and funny. Of course she's equal parts tenacious & determined, which keeps me on my toes. I am grateful for great friends who help me see the humour in life's little bumps in the road. I am extremely grateful for supportive family that have helped keep me sane.....it really does take a village & I am blessed to have a fabulous one." S, mom of two
  • "I'm grateful for the chance to be in the moment so often by seeing things through the eyes of a three year old, especially in the natural world.  When else do you get the chance to study ants working around their hills or gaze at the clouds and talk about what they look like?  Also, I like the fact that being a parent allows for more compassion and connection with others.  Instead of the inward-focus on improvement in career and entertainment and luxuries for ourselves... having a child helps us connect with families, kids, and our communities."  - H, mom of one
  • "I'm grateful for my boy's health, my super-involved husband, my parents and my amazing friends. And caffeine and booze, not necessarily in that order:)" Obviously, this one is mine, a bitter mom of one!
I'm hoping this entry isn't too cheestastic for some of you.  I know that for myself, I did feel slightly nauseous from all the feel-good sweet vibes coming from the computer screen!

Everyone of the moms who contributed to this post comes from a different background; is of a different age; and has different hopes and dreams for their kids.  But the one thing that really stuck out while writing this is how similar we are in that we are so appreciative of our family and friends.  An extra set of hands can go a long way with helping an overwhelmed mother stay sane.  Like my friend S says, it does take a village...  and it's OK to ask for help and support when you need it, since as much as people would love to help, unless they know you need it, they may not want to impose.

Lastly, we'd like to say a very special, grateful and heartfelt THANK YOU to all of the mommies who helped us with this blog entry.  Now, hurry up and go stuff yourselves with turkey, pumpkin pie, and lots of wine.  Cheers!  

You Might Also Like

0 comments